Thursday 10 January 2013

Badger's Birthday

So, another link in the where I disappeared to.

August had me busy gearing up for both my son's birthday and the Toronto Fan Expo convention. (Yes, I'm a big geek.)  So while one day I'd be working on the mobiles to decorate the kitchen. . .



and the next day had me scrambling to get this done. . .



More on this later....
Again, missing all my photos I don't have my step by steps for the birthday decor but above were the paper  mobiles I made.  It made it easier that I already had a pile of pre-cut 1" wide strips of paper sitting around in my scrapbooking supplies. So all I had to do was sit down, sort them into the colors I wanted and cut them in half.

Then, after cleaning up the piles multiple times thanks to some grabby fingers, I marked the middle on them all and then fed them through my sewing machine. Easy peasy.

I got the idea from this tutorial at  Project Wedding. Though I just used regular construction paper instead of the pretty vellum paper.  Less see through but still like how they turned out.

And then there was the bunting.

The morning after photo...


My first time making a bunting. Made from an up-cycled old bed sheet (the green stripes) and an old pillow case (the blue/lavender stripe).  I always thought bunting looked pretty easy. The cutting out the fabric went ok.  And the iron on letters.  but I found I got a bit frustrated with the putting them all on the ribbon.  Maybe if I had used proper bias tape it would have been easier.  But it still worked up decent.  I made 4 separate sections.

HAPPY   -   1st   -   BIRTHDAY  -  (his name) 



His name is now hanging over his crib, the 1st is set aside as a keep sake,  and the happy birthday is packed up for future use.




Then there were the cakes...

Since my little boy had a thing for trying to eat the grass or dirt every time we brought him outside to play.....

I made him a little mound of dirt and grass for a smashing cake!  Though as you can see, I could have used more practice with the grass tip.  Ah well.  Crushed oreo on the side and good to go.   The vivid green made for gorgeous photos of the smashing.


And for everyone else. . .


Rainbow Mason Jar Cakes Ever since I saw a picture of these on Pinterest (lost the link)  I decided I just HAD to make them. I followed a vanilla cake recipe off of www.joyofbaking.com and an ermine butter-cream frosting from Culinary Alchemist.   They are a bit labour intesive with the splitting of the batter into so many different colors and spooning them in by layer. But they turned out so pretty!

The party itself was outside on a gorgeous summer day with a baby pool and a camping tent filled with all sizes of balls and a bunch of balloons!  Sitting under the shade of the apple tree with our friends and their little ones.  Little badger had a blast.  Not too shabby I hope for planning my first kidlet birthday.  ^_^

With that done, then next day I was off to Toronto. . .


Linked up:


The 36th AVENUE The ArtsyGirl Connection A Glimpse Inside
http://whipperberry.com/ Lil\'Luna Blissful & Domestic

1 comment: